Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Stuff that has been floating around in my mind

1. Have you read the blog post from the mom who is tired of all the stupid minor holidays and all the useless hype they get.  If you haven't read it, you should, even if you don't have kids.  It takes a village and we all need to be on board with this one.  I completely agree with this woman.

2.  My sister-in-law jokingly called me the "baby whisperer" last Saturday.  There is a series of books that I've read about the baby whisperer's guide to babies.  If you deal with small babies on a regular basis I highly recommend you read these books.  I found them very insightful.  I by no means am a baby whisperer, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of taking care of a baby.  I recently started watching my neighbor's 2 month old son every Wednesday and this kid is a piece of cake.  I used to be kind of terrified of infants (before I had Ben).  The thought of having to deal with a baby day in and day out was overwhelming to me.  I also couldn't understand how people thought newborns were cute when all they seem to do was poop, pee, spit up, cry and sleep.  I get it now. 

3.  How do you handle stress?  Are you the type of person who can blow off stress at the gym?  Does eating help you calm down?  What do you do to get through the stressful times of your life?  My life isn't particularly stressful besides the fact that I'm a mother, wife, daughter, friend, sister, student, girl's camp director for my ward, and a few other things too.  I'm sure most of you have a handful of hats you wear on a regular basis.  I'm not unusual, at least that's what I think.  Recently I've been reflecting on what's important, and what's not.  I think it's important to live a life that is not crazy hectic all the time.  I don't want to be that crazy mom who is pulling her hair out every other day because she and her kids are so over booked that she doesn't have time to breathe.  So, how do you manage to "keep calm and carry on"?

3 comments:

rachelsaysso said...

I didn't think that working out was helping that much with stess, until I decided to skip a day and suddenly I couldn't sleep because of all the things I was thinking about. So, working out. And ice cream.

And even though I'm a maiden aunt I cannot agree more with the holiday post. On every minor holiday when friends are posting on facebook all the cute crafty things they do for their kids I start thinking, "I'm going to be the worst mom ever because I can't get behind that sort of stuff." And then I think of V.I. Knecht, who sometimes reminded us to wear green and sometimes didn't, and that was it. And there's not a better mom than V.I.

Stacy said...

Rachel, very well said.

Laura said...

Working out makes me a nicer person, even if it is just a walk.

The holidays are ridiculous, I wanted to stand up and applaud when I read that article.