Thursday, April 7, 2011

Pregnancy Update

Today I am 34 weeks along.  Yay!  Only 6 weeks left.  I had a doctor's appointment today and everything checked out great.  The doctor was happy with my blood pressure and my weight.  I've only gained 13 pounds since the beginning.  I haven't even really started to retain water.  Sometimes if I have some busy days back to back and I forget to stay well hydrated, then in the evening I'll notice that I've retained a little water.  As long as I take it easy the next day and drink a lot of water then it all goes away and I'm back to normal. 
Lately I've been having a lot of contractions.  Most nights I have contractions off and on for about 2 hours or so.  Nothing too crazy, but enough that it can sometimes be a little uncomfortable.  I also have them during the day when I'm doing house work, walking up the stairs, and after bending over to help the boys.
My doctor asked if I wanted to be checked to see if my body had started to dilate, but I didn't want her to.  She said that at this point if I went into labor she wouldn't try to stop me from delivering.  I didn't want to be checked because #1. it's really uncomfortable, #2. I think I would be disappointed if I wasn't dilated, #3. I think I would worry too much if I was dilated.  (I know that sounds crazy and contradicting, but I'm pregnant, I have every right to have crazy feelings.)  It's better if I just let things take course on their own, and don't stress.  I don't really think I'll be going into labor anytime soon.  I'm sure that I'll probably go into labor sometime the week of May 15th.
I'm preparing for the labor and delivery a little differently this time.  I've read the "HypnoBirthing" book, and "Hypnosis for a joyful pregnancy and pain-free labor and delivery".  I've been practicing hypnosis with a couple of my own hypnosis scripts and some from the Hypnobabies program.  I'm hoping to have a shorter labor this time around.  Both of my labors with the boys were about 20 hours.  I'm hoping that by being able to relax and hypnotize myself that I'll allow my body to open and thin more easily and quickly.  With both of the boys' labors I labored without any interventions or pain meds for about 10 hours.  I'd be really happy with having a 10 hour labor.  I totally feel like I could do it naturally if it were 10 hours or less.
I'm really looking forward to the arrival of this little girl.  We've decided to name her Eliza Jean.  I don't really have anything ready for her yet.  My parents and little sister are coming tomorrow, and I'm hoping to get a few things done with the help of my wonderful mom and sister.

Here's a picture that I took today of my pregnant belly.  Do I look ready to pop?  I don't really feel ready to pop, at least not yet.

I think I'll probably keep you posted if anything big changes.  My next Dr.'s appt. is in 2 weeks.  After that I'll be going to the Dr.'s every week.

10 comments:

Karina & John Calderwood said...

CONGRATS!!!! My friend did hypno birthing with both of her kids and her second one she did a hypno water bath and LOOOVED it. I'm all about the drugs, but I hear it is the way to go if you want to go al-natural. :) GOOD LUCK!

Chris said...

I wish I could hypnotize myself, or others. That would be awesome. I think I might be retaining water too.

Rich and Nickie said...

How cute are you....I MISS YOU FRIEND! I'm coming up the end of the month and would love to see you.

Joy said...

You look great....and cute name for her!!!

Camille said...

One word: FOXY!

Laura said...

Looking good!!!

Brooke Knecht said...

You look GREAT!!!!

Riki Lee said...

I love her name - it totally fits your family I think. I'm a HUGE fan of hypnobirthing. I tried it with my son because I had so much anxiety from the trauma of my first birth. I wanted a totally different, more calm experience that did not include drugs. My labor with hypnobirthing was only 3 hours. I didn't use the scripts though, so if you use them, yours will probably be an even better experience. I'm a believer!

The Lambert Family said...

Yay! Almost done! I didn't know you had a blog? I will send you an invite to mine since it is private. (not that you care though). :)

NatMo said...

Yay, little girls! I am soooo excited for you...I can't wait to see pics (and by the way, you look great!) miss you, love you!