Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Winter

Is anyone else really done with winter?  I am.  I think it was almost a mistake to visit California for Christmas and New Years.  I say almost, because we had a really great time.  But on the other hand it makes me wonder why I live in Utah, otherwise known as the "frigid north".  When we left our house in Sandy, UT on Dec. 23rd we turned our heater and water off.  (We didn't realize what would happen, so don't judge.)  We thought, oh this will be great, we'll save so much on utilities.  What a mistake.  When we got home on Jan 3rd at 6:00pm our house was a freezing cold 34 degrees.  Our toilets were frozen solid and it took a while to get running water out of the sinks.  Fortunately we have the nicest neighbors ever and they came to our rescue with space heaters and a heat gun to defrost our house.  Finally by 9:00pm that night our house had warmed up to a balmy 65 degrees.  Lesson learned.
But back to CA.  While we were there it was beautiful.  The sun shined most of the time and the highs were in the 60's.  The kids were able to play outside, we even went to a park.  I long for CA weather.  Why did I ever think that UT was an acceptable place to raise my family?  I need to be able to send my boys out in the yard on a daily basis to play. 
Alright, enough complaining.  I'm done for now.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Stacy, you still can send them out to play, you just have to bundle them up in a dozen layers of clothing.

I have fond memories of winters in Michigan, building snowmen, snow forts, Mount Witt (I'll explain later), and having snowball fights. Sledding was always fun.

As you know, I'm always cold, and I would definitely prefer warmth over cold any day, but there are still some fun things to do in the snow.

Stacy said...

Chris, you're right, but my kids are too little to do those fun things on their own. Which means that I would have to bundle myself up too and show them what to do. That's where I draw the line. I don't really like playing in the snow. I know, I'm totally a mean mom. I guess I just need to send them down to your house for some winter fun. :)

Chris said...

I see your point. It'll probably be a few more years before they're ready to do it on their own.

You're not a mean mom, and I have proof! Remember when Dad gave Ben that present and said it went to the best mom in the world...who did he give it to? That's right, YOU!

Aren't those boys cute.

Laura said...

It's funny what you learn during the long cold winters. Luckily we had people warn us about NOT turning off our heater and water. We just turned our heater down and left the sinks that were on a outside wall on with a drip. Kind of a bummer cause you are hoping for lower utilities...but such is life in the artic!

And....YES you can send them out by themselves! Bundle them up, give them a shovel and watch from your window. You have a fenced backyard, right? :)

Amanda said...

We just had this exact same experience. I actually had to call a friend and ask her if we could spend the day at her house, since I couldn't stand the idea of breathing icicles all day. Miserable!!! Glad you guys have warmed up again!

Brooke Knecht said...

Last year when we went to CA for Christmas we did the same thing. When we got home Allie was like "I think your fish is frozen" and sure enough he was! So sad. We learned that same lesson!