Thursday, May 2, 2013

Dairy and Gluten free is not a punishment, right?

My colonial disease reared its ugly head again this week.  Fortunately, I went to the ER as soon as the unbearable pain started and was able to get on antibiotics before it got crazy.

But now I have to be a good girl about eating again.  I have a serious love hate relationship with food.  I love food because of the comfort it brings me.  It can turn a bad day good.  But I hate food because of the pain it causes me.  If I eat dairy and baked goods then I'm in trouble. 

It's because of the colonial disease that I need to go dairy and gluten free.  But it's not that simple.  How do I transition to a gluten/dairy free diet when the rest of my family eats gluten/dairy containing foods?  Especially when I am the main cook in the family.  I prepare almost all of my and my kids meals.  Sometimes the temptation to eat a quesadilla is really a struggle when I'm making 3 for the kids.  Also, have you ever checked out gluten free foods?  They are way more expensive than regular foods.

This is my dilemma.  How do I make this work for everyone without it being stressful and frustrating?

1 comment:

Kylea said...

I hear you- I've been having gallbladder problems again, and it looks like I'll be having surgery soon. In the meantime trying to nurse and not eat any fat at the same time is rough. Which is worse, a fussy/hungry baby or unbearable pain? I'm thinking that no gluten/dairy is worse though, so I feel for you. I'll pass along any recipes I find.